About the VUSA Programme
- Initiated in 2002
- Life skills through rugby
- Academics before practice
- 45 youth (U12 & U13)
- Produced Springbok Squad Member
- Officially endorsed by Bishops
- Managed by Bishops Prep Head of Rugby
- Program is supported by Founding Partner Calulo, and Investec Asset Management
The Future of the Programme
- Crèche ball skills
- 8 month programme
- Extend to U14 – U18 through partnership with Township Rugby Clubs
- Bursary to Bishops College for talented youth(s)
- Adopted by Bishops Rugby as Official Academic and Rugby outreach programme
- Promoted through Bishops Preparatory College annual Rugby Festival
- Future program to be supported through new corporate partnerships, special fundraising events and individual patron’s
Connect Sports Academy
Connect Sports Academy and Vusa Academy have been working together since 2016. With a shared goal of improving the lives of disadvantaged youth in South Africa through sport and academics, our two organisations collaborate with the intention of providing the best possible platform for young people to succeed, on and off the field.
Vusa strives for mass-participation and engagement from eight-years-old upwards, particularly in the Langa community. Within this, Connect's role is to provide background support, playing and coaching resources, as well as bringing a focus on harnessing the burgeoning talent of the most promising athletes. This is done through Connect's established method of caring holistically for individual athletes in a high performance environment.
This is with a view to guiding those with the most potential along the pathway to better education, training and playing opportunities beyond the junior rugby remit of Vusa, into high school, representative rugby and on into adulthood.